Community Links Board Member: Volunteer Position Description
Community Links is a province-wide organization that promotes and supports age friendly communities by connecting individuals and organizations.
Being on the Community Links Board of Directors offers an opportunity to inspire change and provide governance to the organization and its members. You will influence the organization in dynamic ways and help ensure older Nova Scotians are seen, heard and valued.
The Board is made up of 8-10 Directors with representatives of the following areas: Western (Lunenburg, Queens, Shelburne, Yarmouth, Digby, Annapolis, Kings), Northern (Cumberland, Colchester- East Hants, Pictou), Central (HRM, West Hants), Eastern (Antigonish, Guysborough, Richmond, Inverness, Victoria, Cape Breton) and 2 members at large.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Community Links Board Member
- Attend quarterly board meetings (in person or by teleconference) and assigned committees where applicable (all travel and accommodation expenses are reimbursed).
- Review materials sent prior to meetings and come prepared to discuss Agenda items.
- Represent your region and share information about events and community programs in your region.
- Support and participate in Community Links activities in your region.
Time commitment: an average of 8-10 hours/month.
Qualifications and Skills
- Committed to improving the quality of life and well being of Nova Scotians’ aged 55+.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more area of Board governance e.g.policy, finance, programs, personnel, advocacy.
- Experience in municipal government, accessibility, community development, communications or wellness would be an asset.
- Willingness to serve on committees.
- Can represent and understand issues from a provincial and regional perspective.
- Can represent and understand issues faced by older adults in rural areas or from diverse communities.
Authority and Responsibility
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for Community Links Association. As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization. Community Links maintains Directors and Officers Insurance. Our values include equity, inclusion, collaboration, respect and compassion.
If interested please submit a letter and CV to Director@nscommunitylinks.ca by April 30 2019. Please call 902-422-0914 or toll free 1-855-253-9355 for more information.